ComPort+ Update

As per the last Texecom post I had installed the new ComPort+ PCB into the spare header on the alarm main board. This in conjunction with the new v3.01 firmware gives another serial port. There is obviously a demand for this for Texecom to do it, although I would have thought for most people two would be enough! Still I am very grateful for it, because I have found a need for just this.

As described in previous posts, I have the GSM board installed on one port, and I have been using a second for configuration and monitoring using Texecom’s Wintex software. This is probably worth a post of its own, but it is an extremely useful and comprehensive software package which Texecom have as a free download and makes configuring the panels very easy.

I have also been experimenting with home automation integration. I have a Vera Lite which I bought a couple of years ago and I use it in conjunction with a number of Fibaro  devices (mostly the in-wall dimmer units). I haven’t really made the most of these yet although they have been handy for dimming some lights and linking together table / wall lights. Someone on the Vera forums gave me a copy of a plugin he had written to integrate the alarm, so that you can read the status of the various sensors in real time and also trigger events based on whether the alarm is set or unset. This uses another serial port, so now I can have the GSM dialler, the Wintex connection and the Vera connection all at once.

I must say that overall I’m not hugely impressed with the Vera – it is rather out of date now and quite slow in use. In particular the response to the events from the alarm is rather delayed. The UI is rather old fashioned and although they have done a newer one it is not reported to be working brilliantly and in particular does not work with the plugin. I have been in contact with someone lately who is using Homegenie which I haven’t come across before and which looks very interesting. So I’m going to look further at this although I’ll need a USB Z-Wave stick to test it out.

The other change which I’d recommend is that I have changed from using the small USB converter board to a simple cable terminated in header connectors to the pins. I probably should have done this the first time, but it means that there is more space inside the casing now. I used these but there are numerous other examples on ebay. However it’s worth noting that these are not FTDI based and so can’t be used with the flasher board.

USB serial

For reference the colour coding is:

Red – VCC
Green – TXD
White – RXD
Black – Ground

So when connecting to the Texecom the order is:

Pin 3 – Black
Pin 4- Green
Pin 5 – White


					
Advertisements

2 thoughts on “ComPort+ Update”

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s